Wednesday 4 May 2011

alex lacasse, reinforcing the ideas we already have

The song "like this like that" by alex lacasse from ottawa relates a lot of the topics that we talked about today. It objectifies women quite a bit and involves the hyper masculinity. In the video alex keeps on popping his collar, which makes him seem like he's trying to be really cool and seem all tough. Just in verse 1 he has that assertive style over women, looking only at her body, not even her face, he refers to her miniskirt and how he's looking at her legs."Oh girl you looking fine tonight, Tight style, Oh! shorty's looking just right! You got a smile that says (baby here's my number) you can dial. And you wearing the miniskirt, (nobody can) and i know you want to be (number one fan) I see you singing the songs, looking fly out there, and baby your making me stare!" In the video when he looks down at her legs it seems like he feels like he has a right to look at her whenecver and wherever he wants, which sort of has an aggression towards women in it. Like he's the one in control of the relationship and can do whatever he wants to her. "It drives me insane and girl when we touch like this, (like this) like that (like that)" Girl i can give you more than you can imagine, bring it to my world, and girl lets make it happen, you and i, up all night, baby you know i'd do you right" In these lines he really just seems to be some sex crazed man trying to seduce her. How she's weak and fragile and is just going to let that happen, adding to the idea of what feminity should be.
I used to really like alex lacasse, but now i'm not so sure because he seems to just be conforming to society and reinforcing the notions we already have about masculinity and feminity, when it's not really like that.
Opening:

When you move, W-when you move, (Oh b-b-b-b-boy!)

L-l-l-l-l-like this, L-l-l-l-l-l-like that. Like that...

Verse 1:

Oh girl you looking fine tonight, Tight style, Oh! shorty's looking just right! You got a smile that says (baby here's my number) you can dial. And you wearing the miniskirt, (nobody can) and i know you want to be (number one fan) I see you singing the songs, looking fly out there, and baby your making me stare!

Chorus:

Cause girl when you move like this (Oh,oh!) like that, (oh, oh!) It drives me insane and girl when we touch like this, (like this) like that (like that), Yeah i lose control, And baby i know, if you wanna say my name girl, spend a night in my world, forget about the fame girl, (i dont care about the fame!) Like this (Oh,oh!), Like that (Oh-oh!) L-l-l-l-like this, L-l-l-l-like that!

Verse 2:

Oh girl you can ride with me in my, Porshe GT (Baby just you and me?) We can go anywhere you like so girl lets start with tonight! If you wearing that miniskirt, (nobody can) and i know you want to be (number one fan) I see you singing the songs, looking fly out there, and baby your making me stare!

Chorus:

Cause girl when you move like this (Oh,oh!) like that, (oh, oh!) It drives me insane and girl when we touch like this, (like this) like that (like that), Yeah i lose control, And baby i know, if you wanna say my name girl, spend a night in my world, forget about the fame girl, (i dont care about the fame!) Like this (Oh,oh!), Like that (Oh-oh!) L-l-l-l-like this, L-l-l-l-like that!

Verse 3:

Babe, you know i can't go on, thinking about you, spend the night without you, cause shawty there's no other body as sweet as you! Girl i can give you more than you can imagine, bring it to my world, and girl lets make it happen, you and i, up all night, baby you know i'd do you right! (I know you will, Oh boy, I know you will, Oh b-b-b-boy!)

Chorus:

Cause girl when you move like this (Oh,oh!) like that, (oh, oh!) It drives me insane and girl when we touch like this, (like this) like that (like that), Yeah i lose control, And baby i know, if you wanna say my name girl, spend a night in my world, forget about the fame girl, (i dont care about the fame!) Like this (Oh,oh!), Like that (Oh-oh!) L-l-l-l-like this, L-l-l-l-like that!

Ending:

And if your wearing that m-m-m-miniskirt, l-l-l-l-l-like that! m-m-m-m-miniskirt, l-l-l-l-like this, l-l-l-l-like that, if you wanna say my name girl spend a night in my world, forget about the fame girl, just move your body like this! (like this) like that! (like that!) l-l-l-l-like this, l-l-l-l-l-l-like that! (cause girl when you move like this! (oh, oh) like that(oh,oh...)

No comments:

Post a Comment